Episode 6 - Finding a Support System that Works!
In this episode of Just Breathe: Parenting Your LGBTQ Teen I talk about the importance of support – the natural next step after talking about the coming out process for you. This is important because as we focus on our teen, our other children, our spouse, our other family members, etc, we forget to take the time for ourselves – to process everything coming at us. Seeking support – in whatever form - allows us to show up as the best version of ourselves
1. Professional Support
* Individual Therapy
* Family or Couple’s Therapy
Resources and Suggested Reading
* Psychology Today allows you to search for all types of therapists using different filters. I've mentioned it before, it is a personal fave.
* The Administration for Children and Families will allow you to search for youth and family service agencies in your region. (When in doubt, Google "youth and family services near me").
* Check out my resources page for suggested books and websites on faith and spirituality. Right now I am reading Gabrielle Bernstein's Super Attractor and LOVE it! I highly recommend any book by her.
* If you live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, Haven Youth and Family Services provides incredible support and resources for both parents and children.
Tool: Each of the above support tools are valuable and serve a specific function. You are not alone! Allow yourself to be vulnerable and allow yourself to be supported. It is in vulnerability that healing and growth can occur.
Connor will be with me for the next episode, so make sure to listen in!
Please subscribe to Just Breathe and join the private Facebook page AND share both with anyone who needs to know they are not alone!
Click here to listen!